Monday, April 1, 2013

Ahoy mateys!

My sweet, sweet 9 nine year boy is a very special kid.  He has this incredible imagination.  He told me one day in frustration "you just can't see the possibilities!"  I think that sums it all up.  He can see possibilities that I cannot. 

He wanted a big birthday party this year so I asked him to give me a theme.  He had been playing a specific game on his ipad a lot and decided that he liked "momonga", the flying squirrel as a theme.  Ummmmm......okay.  I'll have to do some research but I think we can do something with that.  I looked around a little bit, but I knew with him it was bound to change a few times.  I was right.  We went from flying squirrel to jungle to medieval to pirates.  We were down to a few weeks before the party so I told him he couldn't change anymore. 

Every kid has a way of making their parents feel guilty, right?  Reese is really, really good at it.  He told me that he hadn't ever had a birthday party (not true, we just haven't had a big one in a few years) and he really, really wanted something cool.  Pinterest to the rescue!  I decided that this year, I was going to be one of those moms. You know, the ones who make everything really cute and matchy??

So after a lot of money, printer ink and time, this was the result:


 
I found downloadable pirate party stickers and papers designed by someone on etsy.  Some of the labels you were able to change but I had to do some creative editing on Photoshop to get the others to say what I wanted.  The jugs are everyday decoration in my house and the feed sacks have decorated numerous party tables.  I actually made a sail too but you can't really see it in the picture.

 
Treasure chests were filled with pirate coins, gems, "diamonds", packages of rolos with the outer wrapper removed (they look like round bars of gold) and Hershey gold nuggets.

 
 
The red square bowl says "Fish & Chips" and has chips and goldfish mixed together.  Behind it is a box that has "gold bars" in it.  I hate that I didn't get a picture of them because they were really cute.  They were twix (the only thing I could find that had a gold wrapper) wrapped with wrappers that matched everything else.  (See? Matchy, matchy)
 
 
 
We had "Pirate Ale" (root beer) and "Sea Water" to drink. The "ale" went over really, really well.  They were all gone.
 
 

 
We had eye patches, tatoos, pirate hats, bandanas, pirate mustaches, everything a pirate needs.


 
 
"Polly's Crackers",  "Cannonballs" and "Pirate Booty" (peanut butter filled pretzels).  All of these ideas came off of Pinterest and various blogs.

 
This is the only original idea I can claim.  I made pirate ships out of pallets and my sweet hubby screwed them together for safety.


 
Each pirate ship was stocked with water balloons.
 
 
 
The ensuing "cannonball" fight was my favorite part of the party.  The kids had a blast!




 
 
Okay, maybe I did have one more original idea....I hid these little treasure boxes all over the yard.  Each one had a number on the bottom and the kids drew for the number they had to find.  That way they couldn't just pick one up.  It was a little more challenging.
 


 
 



 

 
Reese about fell asleep eating his cupcake so I
think that's a good sign.



 Reese got a very special visit from Ms Sheila and Mr Adrian, a couple whom we barely know but Reese is determined to adopt into the family.  I wish I had gotten a picture of them together but he was too busy giving them the "tour".  Note to self:  clean out the closets before inviting anyone new over 'cause Reese is going to show them everything!

 All in all I think it was a success and I enjoyed being that mom for a day!



Yes, there is a pirate mustache on my chest.....they were very itchy and hot and they were ending up in some very strange places.....

No comments:

Post a Comment